Protecting and celebrating our most vital resource
The PEC Water Program staff collaborates with partners across the Commonwealth to implement strategies aimed at preserving, protecting, and restoring our abundant water resources. We advocate for effective, common-sense regulations and policies supporting clean and healthy watershed communities. Our work connects people to their local waterways and water trails and educates and empowers citizens to be active, informed stewards of these resources. Our experienced water team staff accomplishes this work by:
- Supporting local watershed groups across Pennsylvania with education and training, resources, and direct assistance through our affiliate organization, the Pennsylvania Organization for Watersheds and Rivers (POWR)
- Collaborating with various partner organizations, including non-profits, government entities, academic institutions, business, and industries to promote the use of nature-based stormwater management and water quality projects
- Educating and empowering members of the public, municipal leaders, public works departments, and more to understand how policies and practices impact local water quality and the tools to help mitigate negative impacts
- Creating lasting relationships with community members and multiple public, non-profit, and private organizations
- Connecting people to their local waterways and water trails by developing routes and access points to increase recreational participation and supporting River Sojourns that celebrate Pennsylvania’s waterways
- Reducing policy barriers to nature-based stormwater management practices in local codes and ordinances
Education and Resources
PEC provides educational resources, as well as in-person and online training sessions, to inform and empower municipalities, residents and businesses to better manage their stormwater runoff and reduce pollution entering their local waterbodies. Past topics include: green stormwater infrastructure (GSI) benefits, funding sources, municipal ordinance audits and more.
Click here to view a list of resources available to download.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: February 20, 2024 Contact: Patrick Starr, Pennsylvania Environmental Council Email: [email protected] Phone: (267) 479-6101 PEC and Aqua PA Team Up to “Protect
PEC works with many groups to improve water quality in the Delaware River Bain by encouraging the use of Green Stormwater Infrastructure (GSI). GSI is a solution that can be deployed at almost any scale — from big commercial properties all the way down to residential backyards.