April 1, 2022
Your privacy is important to us.
Information PEC Collects
PEC may collect two (2) types of information about you: Personal and Non-Personal.
- Personal Information. “Personal Information” refers to information that lets PEC know the specifics of who you are and which may be used to identify, contact, or locate you (e.g., name, mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address). PEC may collect Personal Information when you use our Services, including, without limitation, this list of options (herein, “Shared Information”):
- Registration/E-Newsletters. Registration for PEC events, activities, or e-newsletter receipt requires that you supply certain personally identifiable information, including, in most cases, a unique e-mail address or other contact information. Registration may also require you to submit payment information through our website or a third-party application, with PEC potentially collecting and storing billing and credit card information. This information will be shared only with third parties who perform tasks required to complete purchase transactions. Examples of this include credit card payments.
- Job, Intern, Grant, and Fellow Applicants: Applicants for employment, internship, grants, or fellowship opportunities with PEC are required to give us a name, street address, telephone number, email address, and resume, and sometimes additional information as well. We use this information to process and evaluate applications and to communicate with applicants about opportunities.
- User-Generated Comments and Public Activities (including Comments and Social Sharing). We offer you opportunities to engage in public activities on our Services. “Public Activities” are any actions you take on Social Media Sites (e.g., Twitter and Facebook) that are designed to be visible to other users on our Services, including commenting and posting to Social Media Sites. Any information you disclose in your Public Activities, including your screen name, and any image or photo, becomes public. If you chose to engage in Public Activities, you should be aware that any personally identifiable information you choose to submit can be read, collected, and used by other readers of these areas, and could be used to send you unsolicited messages. We are not responsible for the personally identifiable information you choose to submit in these forums, and PEC has no responsibility to publish, take down, remove, or edit any Public Activities.
- Usage Data. PEC may collect information as you interact with the Services. For example, each time you visit the Services, we may automatically collect the Web page you came from, the URL you go to next, and the Web page(s) that you access during your visit.
- Non-Personal Information. “Non-Personal Information” refers to information that, by itself, does not identify you as a specific individual (e.g., demographic information or website visits). PEC may collect Non-Personal Information through any of the methods discussed above, as well as automatically through use of industry standard technologies described further below. For example, each time you visit the Services, we may automatically collect your IP address, browser and computer type, and access time.
How PEC Collects Your Information
The Personal Information practices set forth apply to all users of PEC’s Services worldwide.
- Information Collected Through Technology. PEC Services may gather the previously referenced Personal Information and Non-Personal Information by the following methods:
- IP Address. You may visit many areas of the PEC Services anonymously. Even in such cases, PEC may collect IP addresses automatically. An IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer whenever you begin Services with an Internet service provider. Each time you access the PEC Services and each time you request one of PEC’s pages, the server logs your IP address.
- Beacons. Beacons are small pieces of data that are embedded in Web pages, applications, and e-mails. PEC may use these technical methods in HTML e-mails that PEC sends to users to determine whether they have opened those e-mails and/or clicked on links in those e-mails.
How PEC Uses Your Information
- System Administration. PEC may use Non-Personal Information for the purposes of system administration, assisting in diagnosing problems with PEC servers, monitoring PEC’s system performance and traffic on the PEC website, and gathering broad demographic information about PEC Service users.
- E-mail. PEC complies fully with the federal CAN-SPAM Act of 2003.
- Newsletters. PEC offers several e-mail newsletters. If you no longer wish to receive a specific newsletter, follow the “unsubscribe” instructions located at the bottom of each newsletter. To manage your PEC e-mail preferences, please click on the “unsubscribe” link found at the bottom of any newsletter you’ve received.
- Contact Information. If you contact PEC by telephone, e-mail, or letter, PEC may keep a record of your contact information and correspondence. If you report a problem with the website, PEC or it’s Service Providers may collect this information in a file. You may contact PEC to request the removal of this information from PEC’s database.
- Aggregated Data. From time to time, we may share aggregated User Information with third parties. We will not, however, share any aggregated data in manner that would enable the recipient to personally identify you.
- Service Providers. From time to time, we may enter into relationships with third parties who provide services to us (e.g., data management and storage services or credit card processing services). In those circumstances, we disclose User Information that is necessary for such service providers to perform those services, and we require that they maintain the confidentiality of such User Information.
If you identify any User Information as public, you are authorizing us to share such information publicly. For example, you may elect to make certain Shared Information (such as your alias, bio, e- mail or photos) publicly available. Also, there may be areas of the Services in which you are able to post information that will be available to all other users of the Services. By choosing to use these areas, you understand and agree that anyone may access, use, and disclose any information that you post to them. We are not responsible for the use or misuse by others of any such information.
Mobile and Location-Based Services
How We Safeguard Your Personal Information
- Security Measures. PEC takes appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure, or destruction of Personal Information. These include, but are not limited to, internal reviews of: (a) PEC’s data collection; (b) storage and processing practices; (c) electronic security measures; and (d) physical security measures to guard against unauthorized access to systems where PEC stores Personal Information. All PEC employees, contractors, and agents who access Personal Information are bound by confidentiality obligations and may be subject to discipline, including termination and criminal prosecution, for unauthorized use or disclosure of Personal Information.
- Third-Party Links. PEC Services may contain links to third parties who may collect Personal Information and Non-Personal Information directly from you. Additionally, PEC may use third parties to provide components of the PEC Services. In either case, such third parties may have separate privacy policies and data collection practices, independent of PEC. PEC: (a) has no responsibility or liability for these independent policies or actions; (b) is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such websites; and (c) does not make any warranties or representations about the contents, products, or services offered on such websites or the security of any information you provide to them.
How to Exercise Your Data Subject Rights
If you would like to access, review, update, rectify, or delete any Personal Information we hold about you, or exercise any other data subject right available to you under the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), you can email us at [email protected]. We will examine your request and respond to you as quickly as possible.
We are committed to protecting the privacy needs of children, and we encourage parents and guardians to take an active role in their children’s online activities and interests. The Services are not intended for and may not be used by children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect information from children under the age of 13, and we do not market the Services to children under the age of 13.
Links to Other Services and Websites
Jurisdiction and Cross-Border Issues
We do not represent or warrant that the Services, or any part thereof, are appropriate or available for use in any particular jurisdiction. Those who choose to access the Services do so on their own initiative and at their own risk, and are responsible for complying with all local laws, rules, and regulations. We may limit the Services’ availability, in whole or in part, to any person, geographic area, or jurisdiction we choose, at any time and at our sole discretion. By using the Services and submitting any Personal Information, you consent to the transfer of Personal Information to other countries, such as the United States, which may provide a different level of data security from your country of residence.
Special Note for Our International Visitors
Our Services are intended for and directed to users in the United States. If you are accessing our Services from the European Union, Asia, or any other region with laws or regulations governing personal data collection, use, and disclosure that differ from United States laws, please be advised that through your continued use of our Services, which are governed by U.S. law and this Privacy Notice, you are transferring your Personal Information to the United States and you consent to that transfer.
How to Access and Change Your Personal Information
You may contact us as follows:
Pennsylvania Environmental Council
810 River Avenue, Suite 201
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
Last updated: April 1, 2022