The Pennsylvania Environmental Council is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that protects and restores the natural and built environments through innovation, collaboration, education and advocacy. At the heart of our success is our belief in the value of partnerships with the private sector, government, communities and individuals to improve the quality of life for all Pennsylvanians. PEC’s Pittsburgh Office, one of four regional offices across Pennsylvania, actively engages in projects and policy initiatives that promote land and water-based recreational opportunities, protection and conservation of water resources, promotion of forward-thinking energy and climate strategies, and sustainable development of communities and landscapes.
Twitter: @pecpa; @pecpolicy
The Communications Coordinator is an entry-level, full time exempt position, located in the Pennsylvania Environmental Council’s (PEC) Pittsburgh Office. The Communications Coordinator is responsible for daily management of PEC’s external communications channels including websites, social media, and email marketing; contributes to conception and development of original content; and provides technical and operational support for communications activities statewide. The Communications Coordinator reports to the Director of Communications.
- Work with program staff to promote and publicize PEC events and projects
- Plan, create, and publish social media posts; maintain PEC’s social media presence
- Write and edit blog posts, newsletters, press releases, and other written materials
- Monitor analytics and produce reports on various audience metrics
- Maintain and troubleshoot websites, asset libraries, and other digital infrastructure
- Source, document, and curate assets including photos and graphics
- Proofread and ensure quality control of published content
- Assist with audio and video production
- Liaise with media contacts, contractors, and partner organizations
- Other duties as assigned
Specific Required Skills
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Creativity; demonstrated ability to generate compelling content ideas and messages
- Experience managing social media accounts on behalf of an organization or business
- Proficiency with WordPress, Constant Contact, and Microsoft Office software
- Familiarity with Google Analytics and social media analytics tools
- Working knowledge of AP style
- Ability to work evenings and weekends, or in locations other than Pittsburgh, as reasonable and necessary for performance of duties
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Cloud software including Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, After Effects, Audition, and InDesign
- Working knowledge of HTML, basic mechanics of domain and web hosting
- Background or interest in web design and/or development
- Experience working or volunteering for a nonprofit organization or mission-driven enterprise
A bachelor’s degree or higher in English, Communications, or Journalism is preferred. The successful candidate should have experience in writing across many platforms with a background in editing content. Commitment to PEC’s organizational mission.
This is an entry-level, salaried position, commensurate with experience, and includes an attractive benefits package (medical benefits, vacation, holidays, 403(b), life insurance).
PEC’s Pittsburgh Office is located at 810 River Avenue, Suite 201, Pittsburgh, PA 15212. Travel to other locales in the region and state will be required.
Submit cover letter, resume, and any salary requirements to Coordinator@pecpa.org by February 29, 2020.