With the working knowledge that the Pocono Forests and Waters Conservation Landscape (PFW) is a very active region and home to numerous and worthwhile projects, programs, communities and groups with a focus toward conservation, sound land use and nature based recreation, the purpose of the CAP is to provide funding for smaller projects that support the Overall Goals of the PFW and advance land conservation and conservation and recreation planning with the PFW Priority Areas using a proactive targeted approach.
The Conservation Assistance Program (CAP) is a reimbursement funding program through the Pocono Forests and Waters Conservation Landscape (PFW) Block Grant, which is funded by the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (PA DCNR) and administered by the Pennsylvania Environmental Council (PEC).
Vision for the Pocono Forests and Waters Conservation Landscape
The Pocono Forests & Waters Conservation Landscape will conserve the natural environment and enhance the quality of life by sustaining vital natural resources.
Overall Goals of the Pocono Forests and Waters Conservation Landscape
1. Identify and conserve important landscape areas for acquisition and easements to increase the public and private land base under conservation.
2. Facilitate local government decision making to conserve land and revitalize communities.
3. Engage the business sector to leverage financial resources and political will to enhance and conserve natural and recreational resources.
4. Improve community awareness of and engagement in conservation and restoration of local natural resources.
5. Increase cooperation among various state and local governmental agencies and private entities with an interest in conserving natural resources and sustainable development.
Priority Areas of the Pocono Forests and Waters Conservation Landscape
- Lehigh Gorge/Delaware and Lehigh Corridor – Grant requests for areas within, along or impacting Lehigh Gorge, Nescopeck and Hickory Run State Parks; the D & L Heritage Corridor; Nescopeck Greenway; Susquehanna Greenway; and, State Forest Lands in the Crystal Lake and Penobscot Mountain areas.
- Cherry Valley – Grant requests within or impacting the Cherry Valley National Wildlife Refuge.
- Upper Lehigh/Roaring Brook – Grant requests within, along or impacting the Lehigh River watershed, above the Francis Walter Dam, the Thornhurst tract of State Forest and Tobyhanna and Gouldsboro State Parks, including, but not limited to, the Roaring Brook Watershed.
- Middle Delaware River – Grant requests within, along or impacting the Middle Delaware River, including the National Recreation Area and State Forest Lands in the Buckhorn area.
- Promised Land/Delaware State Forest – Grant requests in the Delaware Highlands within, along or impacting the Delaware State Forest or Promised Land State Park.
- Lackawanna Heritage Valley Authority Corridor – Grant requests within, along or impacting the Lackawanna Heritage Valley Region.
- Lackawanna State Park – Grant Requests within, along or impacting Lackawanna State Park or conserved lands in northern Lackawanna County.
- Harvey’s Creek/Ricketts Glen – Grant requests within, along or impacting the Lackawanna State Forest in the area of Harvey’s Creek , Moon Lake County Park or Ricketts Glen State Park.