Take Action to Save LWCF
Contact Your Senators and Representative to let them know you want them to support reauthorization of the Land and Water Conservation Fund.
- Senator Casey: (202) 224-6324 / Email
- Senator Toomey: (202) 224-4254 / Email
- Find Your Representative
Talking Points for Phone Call:
- Created by Congress in 1964, the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) is a bipartisan commitment to safeguard natural areas, water resources and cultural heritage, and to provide recreation opportunities to all Americans.
- To date LWCF has provided more than $309 million in funding support to Pennsylvania, from well-known places like the Flight 93 National Memorial and Appalachian Trail, to local projects like public park development and improvement in counties and municipalities across Pennsylvania. In other words, its benefits are available to every resident of the Commonwealth.
- LWCF is funded through annual royalties from offshore oil and gas development – not taxpayer dollars. However, despite bipartisan support for LWCF, Congress has diverted much of this funding to other purposes almost every year.
- This isn’t just about protecting and improving Pennsylvania’s public spaces and unique resources; LWCF supports one of the largest economic drivers in the Commonwealth – recreation and tourism. Research performed by the Outdoor Industry Association has found that public lands and recreational amenities contribute more than $29 billion in spending to Pennsylvania’s economy. These resources generate $1.9 billion in tax revenue, support more than 250,000 direct jobs, and $8.6 billion in wages and salaries.
- For each day LWCF is not reauthorized, more than $2 million is lost.
- S. 47 has passed the Senate with overwhelming bipartisan support, and it is now up the House to take action and make sure one of our nation’s most important conservation programs isn’t left behind.
Sample Text for Email:
I urge you to act now in support of permanently reauthorizing and fully funding the Land and Water Conservation Fund by voting in favor of S.47.
The Land and Water Conservation Fund is a bipartisan program that has protected Pennsylvania’s most unique natural areas and historic sites, helped build public hiking and biking trails, and improved communities and neighborhood parks – at no cost to taxpayers. This investment supports jobs and provides benefits to citizens across the Commonwealth.
Please support S.47 and ensure that this landmark investment in our public resources is not lost.