- This event has passed.
Phoenixville Paddle on the Schuylkill
August 25, 2015 @ 8:30 am - 12:00 pm
This event is presented by the Schuylkill River Town Program, an initiative of the Pennsylvania Environmental Council. It is free because the cost is underwritten by two separate grants, the Pennsylvania Organization for Watersheds & Rivers and LL Bean. Both grants focus on environmental education and outdoor recreation for kids. Register here.
Kayaks are flat water boats that are safe, stable and easy to steer. Our guide is Doug Chapman and is ACA certified.
- 8:30 a.m. Meet at Lock 60 and sign in
- 8:30 – 9 a.m. Educational program about the Lock
- 9 – 9:15 a.m. Kayak instruction
- 9:15 – 10:15 a.m. Paddle down the Schuylkill River
- 10:15 – 11 a.m. Land at Longford Park Enjoy, a snack and program about why the Schuylkill is known as the River of Revolutions
- 11 a.m. Put kayaks in to the canal side and paddle back to Lock 60
- 12:00 p. m. End of Event
What to bring
- Shoes that can get wet
- Sunscreen & a hat
- Insect repellent
- A sense of adventure and your curiosity
What to expect
- A great, safe, fun experience
- Easy paddling and perfect for beginners
- Wildlife sightings of birds, fish and turtles
- Cool facts about Lock 60 and the Schuylkill River