Dominion Energy and the Pennsylvania Environmental Council are proud to announce that applications are now being accepted for the 2018 Western Pennsylvania Environmental Awards for excellence in advancing the environmental quality of Western Pennsylvania.
This regionally acclaimed awards program recognizes and honors outstanding achievements in a wide range
of environmental initiatives throughout Western Pennsylvania, and pays tribute to those that have demonstrated a commitment to environmental excellence, leadership, and accomplishment in their respective fields.
By sponsoring these awards, the Pennsylvania Environmental Council and Dominion Energy hope to encourage the community to emulate the achievements of the successful nominees, thereby promoting innovative environmental efforts and enhancing the quality of life in Western Pennsylvania.
Each Western Pennsylvania Environmental Award winner will receive:
Nominations may be made by the person or persons involved in the activity or by a third party. Successful nominations will demonstrate measurable results and/or impact of the activities. Nominations will be evaluated by an independent panel of judges and awards program staff.
Up to five winners may be chosen. In addition, $5,000 will be donated in honor of each winner to qualified nonprofit organizations with environmental programs benefiting Western Pennsylvania; the nonprofit organizations will be designated by the winners. Winners will be notified in March and publicly honored at the 2018 Western Pennsylvania Environmental Awards Dinner and Awards Ceremony on Thursday, May 24, 2018.
Successful nominations will demonstrate excellence in such areas as:
- Completed online form (below) and uploaded narrative
- Support letter: All nominations must have one letter of support from someone outside the nominee’s organization who is familiar with the success of the nominated activity; someone other than the nominator must write this letter. This letter should explain the impact of the project, its environmental significance or benefit, and its relevance in meeting a specific need. Letters may be submitted as a PDF separate from the nomination, but must be received by February 8, 2018.
- Page limit: Nomination narrative is limited to four (4) one-sided, double spaced pages, no smaller than 12 pt type. Please save in a PDF file format.
- Deadline: Completed nominations are due by February 8, 2018. Nominations received after this date will not be considered.
Narratives must address the following five questions. Please include the questions with your responses.
- What environmental need within the community or organization did the nominee address?
- What kind of solution did the nominee develop to address the identified need? Describe any creative, unique or innovative aspects of the initiative, particularly any special challenges overcome as part of the implementation.
- What effect or impact did the nominee have on the environment? (Base your answer on environmental benefits related to community awareness, environmental quality, the local economy, the public, technical contributions, etc.) Include in your response the scope or breadth of this impact within the community or organization.
- What specific examples, data, or other evidence demonstrates the environmental effect or impact described above
- What other pertinent information about this nominee would you like the judges to consider?
Please do not submit photos or other materials as they will not be considered in the judging process.
For more information or questions call 412-481-9400 or email: WPEA@pecpa.org
The Pennsylvania Environmental Council and Dominion Energy have the right to review and deny any application that is not appropriate or that does not meet the nomination requirements.