Pennsylvania Organization for Watersheds and Rivers
The Pennsylvania Organization for Watersheds and Rivers (POWR) is a nonprofit organization with a mission to protect Pennsylvania’s watersheds.
The Pennsylvania Organization for Watersheds and Rivers (POWR) advocates for the protection, restoration and enjoyment of our common wealth of water resources and conducts programs that foster stewardship, communication, leadership, and action. The vision of POWR is to be the leading environmental non-profit membership organization for watershed and river protection. POWR will:
- Ensure Pennsylvania watershed associations are healthy, locally supported, and a benefit to their communities.
- Ensure the citizens of Pennsylvania are educated and enlightened as to the value of our abundant water resources and the importance of their management.
- Ensure access to quality resources including informational publications and website, educational workshops and trainings, networking and capacity building conferences, regional outreach, and dynamic activities connecting people to resources.
- Ensure a healthy holistic environment that recognizes our far-reaching connections up and downstream.
Through passionate determination, POWR will honor the voice of the rivers as they beckon us to ensure their enduring legacy for generations to embrace and enjoy.
POWR’s primary projects focus on three areas: capacity building for local conservation, recreation and experience-based conservation activities, and public support for watershed protection. Specifically, our projects include:
- Watershed association capacity building and technical assistance.
- Statewide coordination of the nationally unique Pennsylvania Sojourns (multi-day paddling and educational events).
- Selection of the River of the Year and development of the River of the Year Poster.
- Communications and watershed awareness through diverse outlets such as the website, blog, e-newsletter, events listing, action alerts, etc.
- General liability insurance program for members.
Building Capacity for Watershed Organizations
PEC is leading a statewide initiative to engage watershed groups and provide a forum to identify capacity and technical needs and share resource information.
River of the Year Program
Pennsylvania’s River of the Year is an honor designed to elevate public awareness of specific rivers and recognize important conservation needs and achievements.